Sunday, November 29, 2009

Australians Dying Badly........

Palliative Care Australia report on a recent national forum recently held in Canberra to discuss end of life issues and the current health system and as I suspected the results aren't great.

Yes Australians are dying badly, our palliative care planning and services are a disgrace generally and Australians facing terminal illness and the prospect of palliative care in this country will face hell on earth. Most experiences including my own as a carer have been and eyeopener, what I saw and experienced in palliative care facillities make me fear for my own mortality and the possibility of facing a terminal illness myself some day a frightening prospect. not just because of facing death but because of the lack of care, being left soiled and coping with pain because staff aren't qualified to provide appropriate pain management let alone know how to best treat my symptoms.

"My criticism here is that the forum was only attended to by medical professionals but they really need to involve the community, carers and those facing palliative care sooner rather than later in these discussions. I know I'd like to have my say also. "

To read the article in full here is the link:-

http://www.palliativecare.org.au/Portals/46/media/Australians%20Dying%20Badly%20-%20PCA%20Media%20Release%205%20Nov%202009.pdf



No comments:

Post a Comment